Owning your own vehicle comes with some responsibilities. Things, like checking the oil and keeping the best jump starter handy, are important.
A great mechanic can help to keep your car running in good shape but when your car battery needs a jump, you need the best jump starter.
A jump starter allows you to send power to your battery quickly. This charger sends electricity to your vehicle's battery allowing your car to start up.
To better understand why it's so important to own the best jump starter, let's look at some frequently asked questions. Below is a list with the typical questions people have about jump starters.
1. What Is the Best Jump Starter?
The best jump starter can charge your vehicle's battery as quickly as possible. The less wait time for charging your battery the better.
Another important feature to consider when looking for the best jump starter is versatility. Not all jump starters can charge different vehicle types like ATVs or motorcycles.
Extra accessories are another great feature of the best jump starter. These accessories can come in the form of additional light sources and even AC plugs are built into the device.
2. How Does It Work?
Each jump starter can connect directly to your vehicle's battery. This is done using two metallic clips that can transfer an electric charge directly to your battery. Think of like a defibrillator but for your car battery.
The best jump starter will do this fairly quickly. Lesser quality models will require a much longer trickle charge to your battery. This takes up a considerable amount of time and could take at least 30 minutes to charge your battery enough to start it up.
All you have to do is remove the battery contact covers on your car battery. Next, you would connect your contacts with the clip on contacts attached to the jump starter. From there you turn on the device and allow it charge.
Once the battery has enough power, you would then turn off the jump starter. Then at which point you would remove the clips from your battery and slide its contact covers back over. After that you close the hood, start up your vehicle and you're ready to drive.
3. Why Do I Need It?
Owning the best jump starter is an important safety tool. Car batteries deteriorate over time, and that may result in your car not starting up. Waiting around with jumper cables in hopes that someone can help you out, can be frustrating. A jump starter can help you avoid all of that as it works off its own battery.
Jump starters also provide the right amount of electricity to your battery which protects it from other potential hazards. If a battery receives too much voltage or not enough, it can damage the battery of your vehicle in the long term.
It's also perfect for situations where you may be off-road and hard to access. For those who enjoy outdoor activities like driving ATVs and dirt bikes, a jump starter can be a lifesaver.
The best part about jump starters is they're rechargeable. Once you're done using it, you can plug it in at home to charge. This way you'll always have your jump starter ready to go at all times!
4. Where Do I Find the Best Jump Starter?
To find the best jump starter you should start by looking at its quality and features. Consider our answer to the frequently asked questions. If the jump starter you're looking at meets those standards, then you've found the best jump starter for you.
Retailers like Amazon and Advance Auto Parts carry affordable and high-quality jump starters. Other auto part stores and even Walmart also carry jump starters.
5. Is the Best Jump Starter Expensive?
Owning the best jump starter shouldn't break your wallet. As we've stated before it's all about the quality and accessories.
Always remember that the more bells and whistles there are on any device the more it might cost. Be sure that the one you choose to be your best jump starter meets your needs.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters Features, Pros & Cons, Price, Where to Buy, and Warranty. Based on these parameters we were able to compile a list of great options for you to find the best jump starter out there for you.
Overall Price Range
The cost of an average jump starter ranges between about $40 and $70 before taxes or any shipping and handling fees. These are for the most standard of jump starters.
As we stated in our frequently asked questions, the more accessories or features a jump starter has the more money it will be. Higher quality jump starters can cost roughly $80 to upwards of $180.
It's important to point out that although a jump starter costs far less than a pair of standard jumper cables, it's a far better option. Standard jumper cables can cost about $15 however, you would spend much of your time trying to find someone with a vehicle to come and give you a jump.
What We Reviewed
- Delivers jump-starting power with 700 peak amps and 350 instant starting amps
- Reverse polarity alarm alerts when there is an improper connection; Connect the clamps to the battery, turn on the switch and start your vehicle
- Features a 120 PSI air compressor to help inflate tires with low pressure; High-powered LED light rotates 270 degrees to help you work in the dark
- Triple USB port provides portable power for electronic devices; Refer to user manual before usage of the product
- Jump starter should be charged every 30 days when not in use; Charges using a standard household extension cord (sold separately).All Metal Powder Coated Clamps
The STANLEY FATMAX J7CS Power Station Jump Starter is a great all-in-one machine. It's packed with tons of features like an alarm that lets you know when you're not fully connected.
An air compressor is also attached to this jump starter pumping out 120 PSI. That's enough to refill your tires if they get low. Making this perfect for roadside emergencies or even just pumping up your bicycle tires!
The battery inside of the STANLEY FATMAX J7CS allows you to get up to 700 battery amps at full charge. If you're just looking for a quick jump, this jump starter can produce at least 350 battery amps from the moment you turn it on.
A 12-volt power outlet is attached to the device which makes this an excellent option for emergencies. It also has three USB plugs so you can charge up your devices and stay connected.
Placed at the top of this jump starter is a large LED flashlight made for nighttime emergencies or inclement weather when visibility is low. The flashlight even rotates a full 270 degrees so you can position it however you need to.
This product is backed by STANLEY's one-year limited manufacturer warranty. Any defects that occur because of manufacturing or materials are covered for under this policy.
We should point out that with most warranties a proof of purchase is required. Some companies even need you to register your product to activate their warranty. Be sure to consult the manual for more detailed information on specific warranty policies and procedures.
- COMPACT BUT POWERFUL: Measuring only 6.3 x 3 x 1.6 inches and weighing in at 2.5lbs, the T6 battery jump starter is small enough to fit and store anywhere in your car. It can safely and reliably jump start 12V cars, SUVs, motorcycles or vans up to 30 times on a single full charge. (Works on up to 7.0L gas or 5.5L diesel engines)
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY AND PROTECTION: In addition to 8 built-in general protections, the T6 intelligent jumper cable also comes with unique TACKLIFE spark-proof technology and unique audio-visual prompt technology - making the T6 the most trusted jump starter on the market.
- UPGRADED QUICK-CHARGING 3.0: New generation dual USB outputs (5V/2.4A 9V/2A; 5V/2A) are compatible with almost all USB charging devices - including your phone, tablet or Kindle. The quick-charge port saves you time by charging your devices at 1.8x the speed of a standard port.
- LIFE SAVER: The 12V 10A output can power your other car accessories with use of the included cigarette lighter adapter. The 3-mode LED light (flashlight / SOS / Strobe) meets all your various needs. Convenient car charger allows you to recharge while you're on-the-go - eliminating the worry and hassle of charging up before going out
- 12 MONTH CHARGE / 2 YEAR WARRANTY: The LED power indicator displays remaining power. Unlike other starters that you need to turn to 'OFF' to save power, the T6 will automatically shut off when not in use. Holds charge for up to 12 months. 2 year warranty - contact us any time: firstname.lastname@example.org
The TACKLIFE T6 Car Jump Starter just may be your next best jump starter. Lightweight and portable this little jump starter is perfect for the trunk of a compact car.
Weighing at roughly 2 pounds and no longer than 6 inches in total this jump starter is even small enough to place inside your glove compartment. Don't let the size of this jump starter fool you though; it's powerful.
This jump starter can continuously pump out power for 5 hours on a full charge. It can even jump-start a variety of different vehicles in this period like motorcycles and trucks.
It's all thanks to the jumper cables built into the jump starter. Each cable has sensors Inside that can detect how much voltage is needed no matter what battery type your jumping. This is perfect for people who own multiple vehicles.
Two USB charging ports are located on this jump starter as well. One of these is a rapid charger letting you charge your devices as quickly as possible.
It even comes with an Emergency LED flashlight. The flashlight comes with strobe settings and SOS signal lights in case of emergency.
TACKLIFE offers its customers a 2-year limited warranty on their jump starters. This warranty covers any defects because of poor manufacturing. It also covers any defects within the materials that make up their jump starters.
Be sure to check the inside of your packaging as the proof of warranty comes as a card. This card explains your warranty and how to go about getting your jump starter serviced or replaced if it's faulty.
- LEMSIR V1 is the most portable lithium car battery jumper with fast 10W wireless charger, and a great emergency battery backup, super versatile and handy and easy to use, enough compact to fit in a glove box.
- With a peak of 2, 000 Amps - this jump starter could safety jumpstart flat batteries in 1-3 seconds up to 30 times after a full charge, work for all 12V battery vehicle, vans, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATV, UTV, lawn mowers, yachts, and high displacement vehicles. This car jump starter can fit in a glove box, center console of a car, or even your back pack.
- Powerful 21, 000mAh emergency power bank, could charge your electronics like iPhone, iPad, laptop 80% faster than normal battery charger with dual QC 3. 0 USB output and USB Type-c in And out (5V/3A) designed. Support 10W charging to wireless charge-capable device (Qi Wireless devices).
- Advanced lithium ion battery chip QDSP (Quick Discharge Start Power) technology, it's able to withstand various environments and challenging temperatures, 3X stronger and reliable than any car battery jump starter with the same specifications. It's a great item to take with you especially in cold winters and hot summers when batteries are more prone to give out.
- 15. 5inch Extended (length) jumper cables solve the problem of too short cables for most products on the market, make jump start more convenient and free. Built-in "Integrated Voltmeter" could read the battery voltage of the vehicle's battery for enhanced diagnostics of the battery state.
Next up on our list is the portable LEMSIR QDSP Wireless Charger. It operates using a power packed 2,000 amp lithium-ion battery.
That means this pocket-sized jump starter can jump-start any vehicle quickly and easily. It has a battery life of 30 jump starts before needing to be recharged.
We mentioned that this jump starter is wireless, and we meant it. Charge as many wireless charge capable devices as you can for two times the charging power. This device can produce an amount of 10 volts within its wireless charging zone. It's handy to have around when you need all of your devices charged up at once.
When it's time to charge your LEMSIR QDP Wireless Charger just plug it into a micro USB charger. It's the same chargers used for most cell phones.
LEMSIR accounted for safety as well by adding a voltmeter to its jump starter. This ensures that the right amount of power goes into your battery as well as protecting you from electrocution.
They also thought of portability when designing this product. Its body design is only slightly larger than that of a smartphone. So you can literally keep it in your bag wherever you go.
This product is backed by a 2-year limited manufacturer's warranty. As with most limited warranties, this covers damages caused by production defects and defective materials.
Any break downs from the jump starter because of wear and tear are not covered under this warranty. Be sure to take care of your jump starter and follow all the instructions in your user manual.
- This child seat cover fits most cars, trucks, vans and SUVs. It's very easy to install with adjustable straps.
- The 2 pockets provide convenient storage for kids snacks, toys and keeps them within reach.
- The car seat pads for leather seats are made with premium quality water-resistant oxford fabric, you can wipe off the spills and dirt with a damp cloth. A MUST-HAVE for parents and pet owners!
- The infant and child carseat seat protector is made of anti-slip material on the reverse side and durable non-slip PVC reinforced corner to prevent the baby car seat from slipping and sliding during rides.
- The baby car seat protector for child car seat is the perfect car seat mat to protect your car upholstery, it is padded with thickest foam for maximum protection against dirt, scratches and indentations.
Brightech's SCORPION Portable Car Battery Jump Starter is an excellent option for those who are looking for something more affordable. It's able to function like any other portable jump starter but without the cost.
This handheld portable car battery jump starter pushes out 1,000 mAh of power per jump. Its maximum power is 700 battery amps despite its small size.
In fact, the Brightech SCORPION only weighs 14 ounces in total. It's literally the exact size of a large smartphone. That makes this jump starter the perfect travel companion for long road trips.
It even doubles as a battery bank for laptops, tablets and other devices. Plug your device into one of its two USB ports, and your device will be charged up in no time. This is perfect for college students on the go.
Just like some of the other jump starters on our list this one also comes with an LED flashlight. This flashlight comes with just a bright white LED light and an SOS mode for emergencies.
A 2-year limited warranty covers this jump starter. This protects your jump starter from any defects because of poor manufacturing.
Make sure you're purchasing from an authorized retailer of Brightech. If not your warranty will be voided, and you won't be able to get your jump starter serviced or replaced.
- 1,700 Peak Amps; 425 Cranking Amps
- 22Ah Clore PROFORMER Battery
- 46" Heavy-Duty #2 AWG Cables
- Voltmeter provides charge status of onboard battery
- DC outlet to power 12 volt accessories; DC input to recharge internal battery
If your idea of the best jump starter is its size and more features the look no further. This Clore Automotive JNC660 Peak Amp 12v Jump Starter may be the right one for you.
This is a more heavy duty model with sturdy jumper cables and more power. Its max battery amp level reaches as high as 1700 battery amps in a single charge. That's great for trucks and other larger vehicle batteries that need more power.
The initial starting amps for this jump starter are 425 cranking amps so you can jump-start your vehicle right away. It's great to have around for those emergencies.
Extra features on this jump starter include a 12-volt outlet for plugging in portable devices. It's the same standard outlet that you see in most vehicles.
An indicator light on the top of the jump starter lets you know when you're charging. When it's complete, a second indicator light goes off, so you know when you're done.
Warranty for this product is a one-year limited warranty. Like most standard warranties this only covers factory defects.
- Special Features: jump starter kit is drop-tested, ensuring long-life of the device. The case of this auto jump starter is resistant to chemicals, heat and cold, making it durable. This device can start over 35 vehicles on a single charged cycle
- Battery Indication: jump starter battery pack features a battery status indicator that automatically shuts off the charging process, once the battery is fully charged
- Automobile Essentials: this jump starter is easy to store in the garage. Just stack it under the car seat or the rear storage space of the automobile. Compact and lightweight, it is portable and offers back, side or front hook-up jumpstarting
- Usage Recommendations: make sure that you straighten the battery starter cables before using them. This is easy since the smart design does not allow tangling. Always clamp properly to avoid poor performance or problems like sparking
- Product Specifications: Camo Jump Starter comes with 550A insulated copper clamps, high-tension springs, DC cord, four 48 in. gauge cables and 300 W inverter for cell phone or laptop charging. Offers cranking 300A and peak 1700A of starting power
Heavy duty and loaded with feature this Allstart 555 Pro Pac Jump Starter is a fantastic option. A jump starter like this is an excellent choice for those with more heavy-duty vehicles.
Each jump starter kit is tested to be drop proof and resistant to chemicals. This protects your jump starter from any hazards protecting the life long use of your jump starter.
Various lights and indicators keep you informed about the status of your charges. A meter on the front lets you know when you jump starter needs to be recharged.
A built-in voltmeter shuts off your jump starter once it's finished charging as well. This also protects your jump starter from adding too many volts which can be dangerous.
A one-year limited warranty covers only the parts for this product. Any defective parts of this jump starter can be returned or your entire jump starter replaced if necessary.
- 1400 Peak Amp, 700 instant starting amps; Patented Alternator Check function
- 120 PSI Digital compressor with auto stop and and a surefit nozzle
- Built-in USB port provides portable power for electronic devices
- Charges using standard extension cord: Charger/extension cord not included
- Dual USB Charging Ports (up to 3.1A combined) charge up to 2 personal devices on the go
Grab a DeWalt DXAEJ14 Power Station Jump Starter if you're looking for something heavy-duty and straightforward. This jump starter is user-friendly, so it's great if you've never used a heavy-duty jump starter before.
Buttons on the front allow you to turn on its built-in light and turn the power on your USB ports. It also lets you adjust your air pressure, so you're always using the right amount of PSI. The max for which is 120 PSI.
A digital LCD screen shows you the status of your battery and the amp level your jump starter is at. This is a great feature to have as it's easy to look at and understand.
DEWALT's DXAEJ14 can reach up to 1700 battery amps at its peak. Its instant amps are about 700 which can jump-start a large truck with ease.
DEWALT warranties are one-year limited warranties for all their jump starters. This covers the basic manufacture defects and material issues.
- Start Dead Batteries - Safely jump start a dead battery in seconds with this compact, yet powerful, 1000-amp portable lithium car battery jump starter pack - up to 20 jump starts on a single charge - and rated for gasoline engines up to 6 liters and diesel engines up to 3 liters.
- UltraSafe - Safe and easy to use car battery jump starter pack without the worry of incorrect connections or sparks. Safely connect to any 12-volt automotive car battery with our mistake-proof design featuring spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection.
- Multi-Function - It's a car jump starter, portable power bank, and LED flashlight. Recharge smartphones, tablets, and other USB devices. It's easily rechargeable from any powered USB port in 3 hours at 2. 1-amps. Plus, an integrated 100-lumen LED flashlight with seven light modes, including emergency strobe and SOS.
- Advanced Design - Our most advanced portable car battery jump starter ever. Featuring high-discharge lithium technology for safe operation in any climate. A rugged and water-resistant enclosure rated at IP65. A rubberized over-molded casing to prevent scratching or marring of surfaces. And an ultra-compact and lightweight design weighing just 2. 4 pounds.
- In The Box - GB40 UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter Pack, Heavy-Duty Battery Clamps, 12-Volt Car Charger, Micro USB Charging Cable, Microfiber Storage Bag, User Guide, 1-Year , and Designed in the USA.
Noco Genius Boost is a compact jump starter that runs on a lithium-ion battery. It also comes with a few neat features and can reach up to 2,000 battery amps.
Its jump starts are averaged about 40 battery amps from the moment you turn your jump starter on. Its power can jump start anything from motorcycles to boats and even 6.0L diesel trucks.
Spark protection and reverse polarity indicators keep you safe. These sensors make sure that you and your jump starter are protected with every jump start.
An integrated LED flashlight offers 7 different light modes. They've even included an SOS mode for emergencies. Lights like this are great when you need some road assistance at night.
A one-year limited warranty covers this product. That protects it from any damage due to factory defects. Should your jump starter have issues just return it and have it replaced.
- Delivers 1200 Peak Amps to jump start your vehicle
- Features (2) 120V AC outlets and a USB port to poweer your devices
- Includes 150PSI air compressor with pressure guage, nozzles and storage area
- Digital display monitors charge level of internal battery and voltage of vehicle battery
- Works with V8 engines
A Schumacher SJ1332 1200 Amp Jump Starter is by far the best jump starter on our list. It has all the best features, and it's even heavy-duty.
Built with two 120 volt AC outlets, this jump starter can handle anything that needs to be plugged directly into it. That makes it great for even things like camping to plug in what you need.
Additionally, this jump starter has two 12 volt charger ports and a USB port. That makes this perfect for charging up mobile devices.
The jump starter itself can produce 1200 battery amps at its peak. Voltage like that allows you to jump-start pretty much any vehicle and go.
A digital display lets you know exactly how many battery amps your jump starter is using. It's good a way to make sure your jump starter is producing enough amps to jump-start your car.
Schumacher offers a few different warranty options for its jump starters. The longest warranty they offer is 5-year limited liability warranty.
Just like with most limited liability warranties this only covers defects. However, Schumacher points out that if the defects result from misuse, they will not be protected by the warranty.
- 12/24 Volt Operation
- 3000 Peak Amps (12 Volt), 1500 Peak Amps (24 Volt)
- 60" #2 Gauge Cables
- Industrial Grade, Hot Jaw Clamps
- Automatic Recharging (ESA218 Charger Included)
Clore Automotive's Truck PAC ES1223 Jump Starter is for the professionals. A warning buzzer on this jump starter is just one of its many features.
This jump starter is powerful and produces up to 3,000 battery amps in its peak. The starting amps for this jump starter are 1,500 battery amps. With a jump starter like this, you'll never have to wait to jump start your truck.
A simple knob on the front of the jump starter lets you switch between 12 and 24 volt systems. Its peak amps with a 12-volt connection can reach a startling 3,200 amps. The 24-volt connection can peak up to 1,600 amps so charging is a breeze.
Two industrial grade hot jaw clamps connect to your battery to deliver its initial 1,500 amps worth of power. Having strong clamps like these keeps your jump starter, your vehicle and you safe.
The standard limited warranty policy for Clore Automotive is just one-year. This only covers manufacturer defects and the breakdown of materials.
There are so many options to choose from as we've seen here. It can still be difficult to find the best jump starter for you. Finding the right jump starter for you starts with considering your needs.
If you're looking for something a little more compact, then you should consider some of the smaller sized options we've listed. There were some that were small enough to fit in your pocket and even came with USB ports to act as a battery bank.
Others were only slightly larger than that of a smartphone and offered some great features. The LEMSIR QDSP jump starter even comes with a wireless charger for those who have the devices capable of handling it.
For those who need something much more durable, there were a few options available. Those will be much heavier but able to handle any jump start or charging task.
The Truck PAC ES1224 offered the most variety of features for a heavy duty jump starter. It also seemed to produce the largest amount of amps both for a single jump start and its peak amps over time.
No matter what your jump starter needs are there are many options to choose from. Each one is designed to be user-friendly and handy to have around in case of emergency. Take a look at our list again and pick up the best jump starter for you today.
Featured Image from Amazon