Image from Amazon
If you have mobility problems, you know how hard a fight it can be to get outside and enjoy the outdoors, even on a good day. When you push hard for those good days, you shouldn't let yourself be held back by a mobility scooter that can't handle off roading. If you have the soul of an adventurer, you need the best mobility scooter for off road use.
The Best Mobility Scooter for Off Road: FAQ
1. What Is a Mobility Scooter?
There are lots of devices utilized by individuals with mobility issues to help them move more easily and with less pain. One of the most common such devices is the mobility scooter, a motorized scooter that allows someone to sit and drive themselves.
2. Are All Mobility Scooters Electric?
For the most part. That's why these kinds of mobility aides are such an important part of so many people's lives. Having electric scooters allows you to control where you go without having to rely on your body's own strength to get you there.
3. Are Mobility Scooters Made for Off-Road?
Most mobility scooters are made for indoor and light outdoor use, and should only be used on paved walkways. If you want to adventure a bit farther, you need the best mobility scooter for off road, which will need to be durable, stronger, and have different tires from the ones made to work only on pavement.
4. How Long Do Batteries Last?
It's important to note that battery life on any electric car, scooter, or bike is predicated on “ideal” conditions. The tests done to determine battery life were done with “average” amounts of weight, not the upper range of weight. Tests will also be done on smooth terrain, not off-road, and in ideal temperatures. If you load up your scooter with gear until you reach the max weight, and then take it through punishing off road terrain in the cold, for example, your scooter's seven miles of distance could easily be cut to just four.
How We Reviewed
Image from Amazon
If you want to get out beyond the limits of sidewalks, you need the best mobility scooter for off road. There are lots of great options out there! We've gathered some of the most popular scooters for off road use, and we have reviewed them based on a couple key factors. And of course, there's no accounting for personal taste. At the end of the day, the best mobility scooter for off road will be the one that feels right for you.
Overall Price Range
Depending on several factors, you can expect to spend anywhere from around $700 to $200.
What We Reviewed
This scooter is perhaps the best mobility scooter for off road fun and one of our favorites. It has a 300 lb weight capacity, so most people will be able to fit comfortably on the high-quality deluxe captain's seat that slides and swivels to allow you maximum flexibility. The scooter has a maximum speed of about five miles per hour, and the battery can take you about 25 miles before it needs to be charged again. The scooter also comes with a full tiller shroud, a rear-view mirror, and a basket, as well as headlights, allowing you to go off-roading even after sunset.
The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty on this product.
- Includes 5 Year Extended Warranty, even the batteries. 300 lbs weight capacity.
- You must buy from VidaCura/Living Well Stores in order to get the 5 Year Extended Warranty
- Model Scout4EXT Includes 20 AH battery with Extended 15 Mile Range. Charger, flat-free, non-marking tires with anti-tip wheels
- Delta tiller is easy to adjust; Ergonomic throttle control with easy freewheel operation
This mobility scooter will get you where you need to go! The manufacturer boasts quick and easy disassembly, even for those with mobility issues. There are colored panels in high-scruff zones to hide any scratches you may get along the way. And when you're ready, change out your panels with a brand new, interchangeable set.
The swivel seat is height-adjustable with adjustable and padded armrests and a fold-down backrest. The tiller is easy to adjust and the ergonomic throttle control gives you an easy freewheel operation. The quick connect battery pack is easy to remove and can be charged separately from the scooter, making the whole situation a much smoother ride. Overall, this is a very affordable option.
The manufacturer offers a limited one-year warranty.
- Feather-touch disassembly easily disassembles into 5 lightweight pieces for transport and storage
- 300 lb. weight capacity:
- Delta Tiller with ergonomic wraparound handles lets you operate the scooter with one hand and rest your wrist
- Pride's exclusive black, non-scuffing tires: Stable, front frame-mounted seat post: A standard front basket provides storage: Charger port located on the tiller lets you conveniently charge your scooter
- The dual voltage charger permits charging the battery pack on-board or off-board for added convenience. Includes two sets of easily changeable, red and blue colored shrouds: Standard LED lighting:
This new model comes with enhanced control with the delta-style tiller control with wraparound handles for an easier drive. The large rear wheels give you a power unlike other mobility scooters, and this new model has an increased rider capacity of 325 lbs. This is the best mobility scooter for off road if you want tight space maneuverability, unbeatable ease of transport, and the versatility to change your scooter's interchangeable color panels. This mobility scooter breaks down into just five easy-to-assemble pieces, giving virtually anyone the ability to assemble and disassemble it on their own.
The manufacturer offers a limited three-year warranty.
- With a 260 lb. weight capacity, a maximum speed up to 4 mph, a per charge range up to 6.9 miles, Go-Go Ultra X is an exceptional value
- Auto-latching lockup mechanism permits simple frame separation with only one hand. Auto-connecting front to rear cable
- Front frame-mounted seat post offers maximum stability. All-new frame design easily disassembles into 5 super lightweight pieces for convenient transport and storage
- Modular design for easy serviceability.
- Convenient off-board dual voltage charger can charge battery pack on-board or off-board
This powerful mobility scooter will take you the extra mile! It has a maximum weight capacity of 260 pounds and you can speed along at a four miles per hour. A full charge of your mobility scooter's battery should take you just shy of seven miles. The auto-latching lockup mechanisms allows simple frame separation using just one hand, and the front-mounted seat post gives you maximum stability.
When you're ready to charge your scooter after a day of exploration, the battery easily detaches so you can charge it off-board, giving you much easier access to the battery and recharging options. The whole scooters comes apart into just five pieces, making it very easy for anyone to put together, as well as simplifying transport and storage.
The manufacturer offers a limited five-year warranty.
- Penny Copper color scooter - BRAND NEW
- Can be stowed upright in any closet or corner
- 15 mile range per charge
- Powerful 270 Watt 4-pole motor
- Easy to lug around at home, hotels or airports
This is perhaps the best mobility scooter for off road because it's foldable, giving you the easiest storage and transportation possible, and now you can get it the brand new Penny Copper color. When you're not using it, simply fold it and store it upright in any closet or corner! The powerful 270 watt, 4-pole motor will take you 15 miles on a full charge! Whether you're planning on exploring around your home or want to take your mobility scooter on an airplane and take it on an adventure a bit farther from home, this scooter is great for those who need an easy-to-transport option.
The manufacturer offers a five-year limited warranty.
- Quick and easy disassembly with quick connect batteries; Includes interchangeable color panels in Red and Blue
- Comes with headlight and large, plastic carry basket. Turning Radius: 54 inch, Climbing Angle: 6 degree, Ground Clearance: 3.75 inch
- Height adjustable swivel seat with two tone upholstery and fold down backrest; Armrests are padded and adjustable. Wheel Base Dimensions: 30.7 x 19.1 inches, Charger: 1.5A Offboard
- Easy to adjust tiller. Floor to Seat Height: 20 22 inches, Seat Dimensions: 17.5 inch W x 17 inch D, Front and Rear Wheels: 9 x 3 inches Flat free
- Ergonomic throttle control with easy freewheel operation; Flat free, non marking tires and anti tip wheels
This heavy duty scooter lives up to the hype, it's maybe the best mobility scooter for off road adventures. The scooter assembles and disassembles quickly and with ease. The battery can be taken out of the scooter so you can charge it off-board, making charging simple and convenient. Change up your style whenever you want with the interchangeable color panels. The height-adjustable swivel seat has a fold-down backrest as well as adjustable and padded armrests for the most comfortable seating possible. It also comes with a headlight and large, plastic carry basket.
The turn radius is 54 inches, the climbing angle is six degrees and the ground clearance is 3.75 inches. The wheel base measures 30.7 x 19.1 inches. The floor to seat height is 20 to 22 inches. The seat measures 17.5 x 17 inches and the wheels measure 9 x 3 inches. The ergonomic throttle control hands you the reigns of the easy freewheel operation.
The manufacturer offers a lifetime limited warranty.
This mobility scooter will get you where you want to go! The three-wheel Shoprider Echo might be the best mobility scooter for off road travel because its sturdy design is especially conducive to getting over unpaved terrain. This scooter can support up to 250 pounds and has a comfortable, cushioned seat that is adjustable. The quick connect battery pack is removable for easy charging.
The scooter easily disassembles into parts no heavier than 35 pounds, meaning that nearly anyone can put this chair together with relative ease. All in all, the chair weighs 96 pounds.
The manufacturer offers a lifetime limited warranty.
- Ultra Lightweight for superior Portability
- Angle adjustable flip-up armrests for maximum comfort and convenient boarding and exiting
- Easy-to-adjust tiller angle places the scooter's controls in the ideal position
- Height adjustable seat with fold down backrest and a large metal carry basket. Ground Clearance: 2.5 inch, wheels: 8 x 2 inches Flat Free
- Weight Capacity: 265 lbs; Overall Dimensions: 42"(L) x 19.25"(W) x 35.5"(H); Seat Dimensions: 13.5"(D) x 16.5"(W) x 17"-19"(H); Back of Chair Height: 14"; Max Range: 7.5 miles; Max Speed: 4 mph; Turning Radius: 45"
This scooter might be the best mobility scooter for off road because you can choose between a three-wheel scooter version and a four-wheel scooter version. It is ultra lightweight for the most portability. The armrests are angle adjustable and also flip up for the most comfortable experience and for ease when entering and exiting the mobility scooter. The tiller angle is also easily adjusted and allows you to easily control the scooter. The seat is height adjustable and has a fold down backrest as well as a large metal carry basket.
The mobility scooter measures 42 inches long by 19.25 inches wide by 35.5 inches high. The seat measures 13.5 inches deep by 16.5 inches wide by 17-19 inches high. The scooter can go a maximum speed of four miles per hour, and with the battery fully charged, it can go a maximum range of 7.5 miles. It has a turning radius of 45 degrees and can carry a maximum of 265 pounds.
The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty on this mobility scooter.
- Lightweight under 40 lbs. Easy to fold, no tools required
- Easily breaks apart into 3 sections with lightest section 27 lbs. No tools required.
- Stainless Steel Frame light weight and rust proof.
- Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery, long lasting up to 12 miles.
This mobility scooter is perhaps the best mobility scooter for off road adventures because it's incredibly lightweight – it only weighs 40 pounds! This helps the scooter go faster and last longer. The scooter easily folds up to be stored away or to transport. If you want to break the scooter down to transport it, it easily disassembles into three lightweight sections with no tools necessary! The stainless steel frame is lightweight and offers protection from rust. The rechargeable lithium ion battery lasts a long time, taking you a maximum of 12 miles.
The manufacturer of this mobility scooter offers a limited lifetime warranty.
- Quick and easy disassembly with quick-connect batteries; Includes interchangeable color panels in Red, Blue, and Silver
- Delta tiller is easy to adjust
- Swivel seat with fold-down backrest; Armrests with mounted reflectors are padded and adjustable
- Large, plastic carry basket with removable liner bag
- Ergonomic throttle control with easy freewheel operation; Flat-free, non-marking tires and anti-tip wheels
This option is maybe the best mobility scooter for off road fun. The Drive Medical Spitfire Ex Travel 4-Wheel Mobility Scooter is easy to assemble and disassemble. It has quick-connect batteries and interchangeable scratch panels in red, blue, and silver. The delta tiller is easy to adjust for maximum comfort and maximum control.
The swivel seat is comfortably cushioned and has a fold-down backrest. The armrests are padded and adjustable and even have mounted reflectors for maximum visibility for your off road adventures that happen after dark. The mobility scooter comes with a large, plastic carry basket with a removable liner bag. The ergonomic throttle control gives you easy control over your speed with freewheel operation. The tires are flat-free, non-marking tires and anti-tip wheels.
The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty.
If you're looking for the best mobility scooter for off road fun for you or a loved one, there's one that perfectly matches your needs. There's several factors you should consider when trying to determine which is the best mobility scooter for off road for you.
If you're trying to spend as little as possible while still getting a high quality mobility scooter, try the Drive Medical Red Bobcat X3 3 Wheel Compact Transportable Scooter, the Shoprider Echo 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter, or the Go-Go Ultra X 3-Wheel Travel Mobility Scooter.
If money is no object, try the SmartScoot Mobility Scooter, the EV Rider Transport Foldable Mobility Scooter, or the Shoprider Sunrunner 4 Wheel Scooter.
image via Flickr
While price point is important, money isn't the only number that can determine which will be the best mobility scooter for off road for you. Weight can play a large role in helping you decide. Because weight can change over time, it can be tricky to make a decision. Most mobility scooters can hold a weight of up to 250 pounds. If you think you may at some point weigh around 250 pounds, it might be a good idea to go ahead and invest in a mobility scooter with a higher weight capacity.
Another important thing to consider when it comes to weight is that this is the total weight capacity, not just the weight of the person. That is, if you intend to use your mobility scooter to run to the corner market, you need to consider the increased weight of whatever groceries you purchase. Or, perhaps you want to bring a stack of books home from the library. If your weight is close to hitting the maximum capacity, any books, food, or other items you have with you might put you over capacity.
If you're okay with having a maximum capacity of around 250 pounds, you might want to try the SmartScoot lithium battery Mobility Scooter, the Shoprider Echo 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter, the Drive Medical Red Bobcat X3 3 Wheel Compact Transportable Scooter, or the Go-Go Ultra X 3-Wheel Travel Mobility Scooter. If you need one that can hold a heavier weight, try the Go-Go Traveler Elite Plus 4-Wheel Pride Mobility Scooter, or the Shoprider Sunrunner 4 Wheel Scooter.
No matter which mobility aide is the best mobility scooter for off road for you, you'll be out getting fresh air and enjoying the outdoors in no time! Get ready for all the freedom that mobility will give you! Once you get some wheels, nobody can hold you back, and with these off-road mobility scooters, you can forge your own trails.